Dr. Doris Giraldo recommends using veneers when it comes to fix smiles in an easier, less painful manner. Veneers can be a great way to fix the color or shape of a tooth or both.
Some advantages of using veneers are:
- They provide a natural tooth appearance.
- Gum tissue tolerates porcelain well.
- Porcelain veneers are resistant to stains.
- The color of a porcelain veneer can be selected such that it makes dark teeth appear whiter.
- Veneers offer a conservative approach to changing a tooth’s color and shape-veneers generally don’t require the extensive shaping prior to the procedure that crowns do, yet offer a stronger, more aesthetic alternative to bonding.
For more information about veneers and their benefits call Dr. Doris Giraldo’s office at (212)750-4590.
Dr. Doris Giraldo of New York, NY is an experienced dentist and offers plenty of options for you to choose from when it comes to dental fillings. Many patients are confused by what kinds of dental filling options are available for their procedure. The options vary depending on the patient’s health, where and how the filling is placed, the amount of chewing pressure the tooth will have to bear, components of the filling material and the number of visits needed to prepare and accommodate the tooth. Some of the choices include amalgam, composite and ionomers.
Amalgam - Amalgam fillings are very durable, easy to use, and inexpensive when compared to other materials. Since amalgam fillings can sustain very heavy chewing loads, they are usually used to restore molars. Some of the disadvantages of amalgam fillings are that the silver tone is not as natural looking, possible short-term sensitivity, and more tooth structure is removed to conform the filling.
Composite - Composite fillings are made out of a mixture of glass or quartz and resin, this mix produces a tooth colored filling. Composite fillings are durable and provide good resistance against fracture in small to medium restorations where there is moderate chewing pressure. Because less tooth structure is removed when using a composite, a smaller filling can be used than one using amalgam. Some downsides of composite fillings are that they are moderately more expensive than amalgam depending on the size of the filling and technique used by Dr. Doris Giraldo, procedure time is generally longer than when using amalgam, and they tend to stain and discolor over time.
Ionomers - Ionomers, on the other hand, are made out of a mixture of acrylic acids and fine glass powders. Ionomers are usually utilized to fill cavities on the root surfaces of teeth or in small fillings that do not require any chewing resistance since they have low protection against fractures. As with any procedure, Dr. Doris Giraldo suggests to call us today at (212)750-4590 or come into the office where she can fully discuss which option is better and most efficient for you.
Content Received from ADA
Your teeth are very susceptible to decay if you do not take proper care of them and practice good oral hygiene regularly. The following are some tips Dr. Doris Giraldo recommends to help you prevent tooth decay:
1. Talk to Dr. Doris Giraldo to make sure your mouth, teeth, and gums are healthy before beginning a whitening program.
2. Preferably, Dr. Doris Giraldo recommends you to choose a supervised whitening option for your safety and maximum results.
3. Stick with your maintenance schedule to keep your smile bright, remember, no whitening is permanent and regular professional cleaning is essential to remove stains and the tartar that can cause gum disease.
4. Keep sweet foods, desserts, and drinks to a minimum and brush thoroughly after eating. The consumption of those products over extended time periods heightens the risk of decay.
5. Acidic food and drinks can be just as harmful to your teeth as sugar. The acid erodes tooth enamel and can make your teeth sensitive, more vulnerable to cavities, and lose its luster.
Remember, you can maintain your teeth for a long time if you properly take care of them. Dr. Doris Giraldo recommends regular cleanings to keep your teeth glistening and healthy. To schedule an appointment call Dr. Doris Giraldo’s office at (212)750-4590.