Are you tired of having yellow, stained teeth, despite your strict daily dental hygiene? You are not alone. There are millions of people suffering from the same problem. So if you brush, floss and visit your dentist regularly then why are your teeth still discolored?
This happens because the outer layers of your teeth get stained over the years by consumption of beverages with caffeine, soda, wine and smoking. When these outside sources of staining are left to sit on the teeth all day until your next brushing, the dentin on your teeth becomes yellowish or darkened. The best way to help your stained discolored teeth is with one of the easiest cosmetic dentistry procedures, professional teeth whitening.
Contributing factors to yellowing, stained teeth:
- Tetracycline based antibiotics used before the age of 8 years old
- Excessive exposure to fluoride as a child
- Internal bleeding due to trauma
- Discoloration due to a health condition
- Natural aging- as time goes by enamel gets thinner and thinner and will get a yellowish hue
Simple rules to live by to try and stop the yellowing process:
- Visit your dentist regularly for teeth cleanings
- Rinse your mouth out with water several times throughout the day
- Use toothpaste with whitening agents
One of the best ways to whiten your teeth is to visit your dentist for professional tooth whitening. You deserve a beautiful white smile. Contact New Dimension Dentistry of New York, NY at 212-750-4590 or www.newdimensiondentistry.com.
Tooth decay is one of the common most problems seen among patients. New Dimension Dentistry of New York, NY encourages good oral health and regular dental check ups help to fight against tooth decay. The following are five tips to help prevent tooth decay.
• Fluoride Therapy: It is the delivery of fluoride to the teeth topically or systemically in order to prevent tooth decay (dental caries) which results in cavities. Fluoride Therapy delivery involves fluoride supplementation using water, salt, tablets or drops which are swallowed. Tablets or drops are rarely used where public water supplies are fluoridated.
• Brushing your teeth: Brushing and flossing properly, along with regular dental checkups, can help prevent tooth decay and gum diseases. Brushing your teeth three times a day makes your teeth stronger.
• Regular checkups with your dentist: It is very important to seek the help of a dentist since they know a lot about it. They know what to do and where to focus on your teeth.
• Dental sealant: It is the dental treatment that consists of plastic material that covers one or more teeth, for preventing of cavities and tooth decay. Dental sealants are applied in a dentist’s office.
• Dietary snacks: It is good to limit sweet snacks as excessive intake of sweets alters’ your blood sugar. If you avoid snacks, you may be depriving your body of nutrition from food. Good snacks should include healthy proteins and fats.
Make an appointment with New Dimension Dentistry today to ensure your mouth is as healthy as it should be. Contact their office at 212-750-4590 or visit the website www.newdimensiondentistry.com.
A crown is a cap placed over a tooth to restore its strength and appearance. Crowns have several uses such as to protect a weak or broken tooth. Also, crowns are used to cover a large filling or help support a bridge. New Dimension Dentistry of New York, NY lists the top 10 advantages of crowns.
- Natural Looking – Porcelain and composite crowns have the look and feel of natural teeth.
- Durable – Last up to fifteen years depending on their care.
- Stain Resistant – Made from porcelain
- Cosmetic – Improve the look of broken, cracked or discolored teeth
- Non-slipping – Crowns are cemented or anchored in place
- Protection – Crowns protect the tooth from further decay
- Restorative – Restores full function of your damaged tooth
- Comfort – Stable and do not irritate gums like partial dentures.
- Speech – Missing teeth and dentures can affect speech. Crowns replace the missing teeth and do not slip around, making speech sound more clear.
- Confidence – Damaged, discolored or missing teeth causes confidence issues. Crowns help to make your smile beautiful again.
If you have a broken, chipped, stained or damaged tooth, contact New Dimension Dentistry at 212-750-4590 or www.newdimensiondentistry.com.
Parents usually provide oral hygiene care until their child is old enough to take responsibility for their daily dental health routine of brushing and flossing. A proper routine of preventive home care is important from the day your child is born.
- Clean your infant’s gums with a clean, damp cloth after each feeding.
- As soon as the first teeth come in, begin brushing them with a small, soft-bristled toothbrush and water. If you are considering using toothpaste before your child’s second birthday, ask your dentist first.
- To avoid baby bottle tooth decay and teeth misalignment due to sucking, try to wean your child off of the breast and bottle by one year of age, and monitor excessive sucking of pacifiers, fingers and thumbs. Never give your child a bottle of milk, juice or sweetened liquid as a pacifier at naptime or bedtime.
- Help a young child brush at night, the most important time to brush, due to lower salivary flow and higher susceptibility to cavities. Perhaps let the child brush their teeth first to build self-confidence, then the parent can follow up to ensure that all plaque is removed. Usually by age 5 or so, the child can learn to brush his or her own teeth with proper parental instruction.
- The best way to teach a child how to brush is to lead by good example. Allowing your child to watch you brush your teeth teaches the importance of good oral hygiene.
In addition, preventative routine dental checkups ensure your child has healthy teeth and gums. Don’t wait. Schedule your child’s next pediatric dental visit with Dr. Giraldo DDS of New Dimension Dentistry, New York, NY 212-750-4590 or www.newdimensiondentistry.com.