People with diabetes are at risk for many things, keeping your oral hygiene in control may be one of those challenges. Here are five tips to maintaining good oral hygiene and prevent gum disease:
- Control your glucose level; a good blood glucose control can help prevent or relieve dry mouth caused by diabetes
- Take good care of your teeth and gums by brushing and flossing at least twice a day
- Have your regular check ups with your dental hygienist every four or six months
- Avoid smoking, this will control thrush and fungal infection
- If you wear dentures remove and clean them daily
Periodontal disease can lead to tooth loss, cancer, heart attacks, strokes, and can cause the following symptoms:
- Swollen/Inflamed gums
- Bright red or purple gums
- Receding gums (causing your teeth to look longer than normal)
- Gums pulling away from your teeth
- Bad taste in your mouth
- Chronic/ consistent bad breath
Although many patients believe that periodontal disease is caused by the buildup of bacteria, periodontal disease can also be causes by other factors including:
- Poor diet/nutrition
- Certain medications
With the assistance of Dr. Giraldo, patients are no longer at risk of periodontal disease because of the extensive treatments provided at New Dimension Dentistry. If you are suffering from periodontal disease and want to be treated immediately contact Dr. Giraldo for a treatment option that meets your specific condition.
For more questions on periodontal disease call Dr. Giraldo of New Dimension Dentistry in New York, NY at 212-750-4590 or visit www.newdimensiondentistry.com.
Dr. Giraldo of New Dimension Dentistry proudly serves New York, Hoboken, Manhattan, Midtown, Brooklyn, Elmhurst, and surrounding areas.